I am a lover of all things Italian, rich, delicious, and cheesy. When i read recipes for veggie lasagna with no noodles my first thought is uuuuuuuuuugh why, that is not lasagna! I do love vegetable lasagnas with noodles, spinach, zucchini, you name it so just mayyyyyybe it won’t be such a let down. So i gave it a shot and i was seriously NOT let down or disappointed in any way at all! I kept seeing one of those Delish.com video recipes on Facebook for zucchini ravioli and thought hmmmm i could adapt that into a lasagna really easily. Of course if i was going to do this i wanted to make sure it fit into the weight watchers points plan since that is what i gauge myself on. Here is what i ended up with after converting it to WW and Lasagna, I have included the original ravioli recipe below in the links section. The result was a nice very flavorful not overly wet (which is my big pet peeve with zoodle dishes) cheesy dish. I had some sauce leftover so i sauteed some turkey kielbasa and tossed them in the sauce and served them with my lasagna.
Zucchini Lasagna Recipe
Serves 4, 5WWSP per Serving
- 2 Extra large Zucchini cut into long wide strips using a carrot peeler (used mostly outer parts and stopped when i got to seeds only)
- 4 cloves garlic clove minced grated
- ½ tsp olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup uncooked onion, diced
- 1 can tomato sauce
- 5 leaves fresh basil
- 1⁄4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1⁄4 cup part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Shave your zucchini lasagna needles with a carrot peeler and place between paper towels to absorb extra moisture while you prepare your sauce.
- In a skillet over medium heat add olive oil, when oil is hot add garlic and onion and cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until onion is translucent. Add the tomato sauce, season with salt and pepper and stir. Increase the heat to medium -high and bring to a boil then lower to a simmer for 5 minutes then add basil and continue to simmer for another 5 minutes or until thickened.
- Make the filling. Combine the cheeses and egg in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper. (save a little mozzarella and parm for the top)
- Spread a little sauce evenly on the bottom of the baking dish. Lay down an even layer of zucchini shavings, overlapping to make a sheet as you would do with lasagna noodles. Spread some of the cheese mixture over the zucchini layer and a layer of sauce over that and keep building layers in this order until you have used all your ingredients (I did about 3 layers, it all depends on the size of your pan, a smaller pans makes a thicker lasagna) ending with zucchini top with a layer of sauce and the reserved grated cheese. I had some sauce left over as I was quite careful to not make the layers to wet. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes. Serve hot.
If you try it and enjoy it or have suggestions or additions please leave your comments. I never make something exactly to the directions and usually make changes. I think next time i will saute some spinach and add it to the cheese mixture.
Live, love eat,
Links used for this recipe: